If you live in the community and receive services from a provider, your rights may also be protected. The websites below explain your rights and tell you how to file a complaint.
- Home Care and Hospice Services (licensed by the Virginia Department of Health)
- Adult Day Care (licensed by the Virginia Department of Social Services)
- Community Based Behavioral Health and Developmental Services (licensed by the Virginia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services). Your human rights are protected in these programs under the Human Rights Regulations.
- General Hospital Services (licensed by the Virginia Department of Health)
- Children's Foster Care Services (regulated by Virginia Department of Social Services and federal laws)
- Adult Foster Care (Approved by local departments of social services and regulated by the Virginia Department of Social Services)
- Family Day Homes (licensed by the Virginia Department of Social Services)
Rights No Matter Where You Live
Whether you live in an institution or in the community, you have a right to be free from physical, mental or financial mistreatment by a caregiver or other person. The Adult Protective Services Program at your Local Department of Social Services can look into your concerns and offer assistance to stop or prevent mistreatment. They have a toll-free 24-hour Hotline you can contact at 1-888-83 ADULT (1-888-832-3858).